Spend More Time Doing What You Love (in Barcelona!)

As I sit aboard my delayed flight, trying to make my way home to New York City, I'm reminded of a sign that caught my eye recently at a rock climbing gym. It read, “Spend More Time Doing What You Love.” Instead of pouting at the delay, I used the forcibly carved-out time to focus on doing something I love: travel writing. There's nothing like the constricted space of an airplane to bring about the freedom to write to my heart's content without feeling the pull of household chores, social commitments, relationship responsibilities, or incessant emails.

This trip to Barcelona has been an exercise in setting aside the demands of daily life to spend time doing what I love. Exploring a new city is way up there on my list of favorite pastimes. There's indescribable joy to be found in sampling local cuisine, deciphering the public transit system, taking in a museum, shopping for mementos, and wandering through green spaces and along waterfronts.

The idea for these five days in Spain was born on the beaches of Florida where my family had decamped to spend last Thanksgiving. The stress of managing this complicated meal far from home–in addition to the regular emotional and physical load of caring for my mom, husband and four kids–had worn me thin. I felt frazzled and too wrapped up in the demands of motherhood to just sit down over a card game and take a vacation. It confirmed the saying that traveling with kids is just a relocation rather than a vacation. And so, my mom conspired good-naturedly with a dear friend of mine to plan and invite me along on a true vacation. I said a hearty, “Yes!”

Seven months later, I called upon my village of neighborhood friends, who moved mountains to support the plan. They rescheduled meetings, chaperoned sleepovers, handled school pickup, took my kids to the Natural History Museum, and organized class parties in my stead. My husband shifted his work hours to make sure he could attend one daughter's musical and another's choir performance. My kids helped prepare dinner each night, translating all their quirky food preferences onto their plates. My mom booked the flights, hotels, and tours to kick this plan into action. My friend and I researched additional sightseeing and mapped out our itinerary; we had the help of a dad we met at a playground birthday party who had studied in Barcelona.

It all came together, thanks to my amazingly supportive community. I was so appreciative that no one questioned my decision to fly abroad during the busiest month of the school year. I was the only one who needed to check my guilt trip (I’m a horrible mother for missing these performances!) and swallow my pride (Can they really survive without me?). Everyone, including me, quickly realized the value of investing time in a bit of fun.

The moment I settled into the car on the way to Newark Airport, my body relaxed and switched to vacation mode. At that point, there was nothing left to do but enjoy the trip. I started off the evening with a delicious spread of tacos, salad, and white chocolate cherry cookies at the United Club. While dining, I read through a Barcelona guidebook, which I had barely had a chance to crack open prior to the trip. Not afraid to look like a tourist in the setting of the airport, I spread out a map and circled highlights mentioned in the guidebook. With each swoop of the pen, my curiosity grew. What treasures would I find in each of these neighborhoods, beckoning to be explored?

Journey with me to fabulous Barcelona!


Read the full series here:

Spend More Time Doing What You Love (in Barcelona!)

Day 1: Streets and Shops

Day 2: Architecture and Tapas

Day 3: Mountain and Vineyard

Day 4: Art and Opera

Day 5: Castle and Harbor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embrace these Six Areas of Independence as Your Tween Heads to Middle School

Sleep Strategies for the New Parent

Creative Childcare Solutions for Life in NYC